Sunday, December 17, 2006

Hayward, Berkeley, BART + Bikes

Last weekend I took a trip up north to visit some clients, my kids, and to have dinner with a good friend Saturday night. My son and daughter-in-law live in Hayward, and my dinner was in Berkeley. I really didn't feel like fighting weekend traffic, particularly in the rain, and especially if I had a couple glasses of wine with dinner. I went on to transit.511.org , used the simple trip planner and ended up taking the BART to Berkeley, transfering to one bus that was waiting there for me, and walking two blocks to the restaurant. My biggest surprise was how astounded my dinner companion was that I had taken a bus. Why? It was so simple. I read a couple chapters of my book while riding. Total trip took an hour and a quarter.

Back home in L.A. I've been riding my bike more than taking the bus. Pretty much any trip within a ten mile radius is bike-able as long as I don't have to wear a suit. I really enjoy bicycle commuting. There is a special store down in Torrance I want to go to and I'm planning a bus/bike combination to make the nearly 30 mile journey. Should be fun. I'll post it when I do it, probably before the end of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home