Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Passing the Test

Each weekend I try to look at my coming week’s calendar to see what days I might be able to take public transportation. Last Sunday I noticed that Tuesday, May 16 was a very full day, but had potential to put public transit to a real test. Here was my schedule:

  • 7:00 a.m. meeting in Century City
  • 9:30 a.m. meeting back at my office in Beverly Hills
  • 12:00 noon lunch in Westwood
  • 5:30 meeting in Santa Monica

I decided to accept the challenge. Three of the four meetings were within 3 blocks of busy bus routes. The Santa Monica meeting required a ten minute walk to and from the bus stop. Other than that ten minute allowance for the last meeting, I left my home or office at exactly the same time I would have left had I driven my car.

I was comfortably on time for every meeting. I was not rushed, I didn't have to deal with parking (saving, by the way, more than $35), and I traveled more than 30 miles paying no attention to traffic. I read four chapters of an important book on Retirement Income Planning. I had a seat on every bus. I met a law student from Mongolia. Cost: $3.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home